If you’re interested in male enhancement then you’ve probably considered a whole range of different practises. There are exercises you can do at home, training regimens you can involve yourself in, supplements you can take, dietary changes that you can make … you name it, somebody’s attached a male enhancement label to it and tried to market it.
A lot of these enhancement products and techniques are just random ingredients thrown together with a label and sold to unsuspecting innocents. It’s a good idea to make an effort to understand the individual components of these products – that way you can figure out yourself what works and what doesn’t, and you can also make your own personal mixtures based on real evidence.
Today we’re going to talk about one of the more popular – and effective – supplements for male enhancement: L-Arginine.
What is L-Arginine?
L-Arginine is considered to be a semi-essential amino acid. Also known as conditionally essential, semi-essential amino acids are able to be synthesized by the human body under optimal conditions. The mechanisms through which they’re made are much more likely to be compromised during illness, though, so it’s important to find sources for these amino acids if you’re getting sick.
Most people generally get enough L-Arginine from protein-heavy foods, particularly meats. This can make it difficult for vegetarians to get a sufficient intake of essential or semi-essential amino acids. You can get a decent amount of L-Arginine from eating nuts, seeds, whole grains, and legumes, but you’d have to eat a significant amount at least 3 or 4 times a week to keep your L-Arginine levels sufficient.
What does L-Arginine do?
L-Arginine’s main method of action is through its conversion to nitric oxide in the human body, as well as helping the body produce more insulin. Nitric oxide is a very important compound for nearly every process in the body, but its main acute effects are dilating blood vessels and improving circulation. It’s also very important for proper brain function.
Due to this primary action, L-Arginine is most often used for helping with conditions related to the heart and the blood vessels – heart disease, blood pressure problems, coronary artery problems, etc. It’s also used for general improvement to immune function by strengthening the liver and kidneys and regulating weight loss.
The main benefits of L-Arginine in regard to male enhancement are improved erectile dysfunction and improved fertility. Erectile dysfunction is often caused by an improper flow of blood to and from the penis, so improving your circulation can help you solve the problem.
How can I take L-Arginine?
The dosage required for L-Arginine supplementation differs depending on the condition you’re hoping to treat. If you’re not going to get L-Arginine from your diet, chances are you’ll be getting it in supplement form.
You can get L-Arginine that’s already premixed with other complementary supplements as long as you get a reliably sourced brand like Male Extra. Male Extra combines several amino acids with other powerful nutrients that, when used in conjunction, provide significantly better sexual enhancement when compared to the use of a single supplement.
- If you’re going to use L-Arginine on its own, try to get the bulk powdered form. This can be found in supplement stores or health food stores, or ordered online. Make sure you take your L-Arginine on an empty stomach, and if you take any other amino acid supplements, don’t take them together. Amino acids are all processed by an enzyme known as amino acid decarboxylate, and if you consume too many at the same time, they will “compete” for the best absorption and a lot will be lost.
- For erectile dysfunction, you should take five grams of L-Arginine once a day.
- Arginine can also reduce stress. Stress and anxiety are often indicated in a large number of sexual dysfunctions, and in some cases, eliminating the worries can eliminate the problem. For stress or anxiety, take 3–5 grams once a day or 2–3 grams twice a day.
Is L-Arginine safe to take?
L-Arginine is considered by the FDA to be generally recognised as safe. This doesn’t mean that it will never cause a problem, though. There are some risks of moderate side effects even with regular use of L-Arginine. These can include:
- abdominal pain or bloating
In the case of an extremely adverse reaction, L-Arginine can cause inflammation of the airways, worsening of asthma, and blood allergies. These are very uncommon and you would probably already know if you were allergic to L-Arginine because you would have had an adverse reaction to eating foods high in L-Arginine.
There are certain precautions to take when using L-Arginine.
- People with herpes should avoid supplementing with L-Arginine. Some studies have suggested that arginine is actually required for the herpes virus to multiply, and providing it with a lot of arginine just gives it more room to grow.
- If you already have low blood pressure, stay away from amino acids like arginine that lower blood pressure.
- You also shouldn’t use arginine before or after surgery due to potential blood pressure complications.
- If you take nitrates or other medications that increase the flow of blood to the heart, don’t take arginine supplements.
- Taking arginine with Viagra (Sildenafil) is a bad idea, despite how fantastic it might seem at first. Both medications can lower blood pressure, and the results can cause medical complications.
L-Arginine is one of the most important amino acids for helping the human body regulate its blood pressure and circulation. Blood pressure abnormalities or cardiovascular issues can interfere with male sexual performance, and fixing these issues often eliminates problems like erectile dysfunction.
Arginine is a direct precursor to nitric oxide, which is a compound that’s absolutely vital for many processes in the body. Unfortunately, many people’s diets don’t provide them with the ideal amount of nitric oxide. Lucky for us, arginine supplements are cheap, readily available, and cause minimal side effects if used within a recommended dosage range.
If you don’t have any conditions that would interact with L-Arginine, you should consider trying Male Extra. Our formula includes L-Arginine and several other amino acids and nutrients that work in conjunction to provide the best possible benefit for male sexual health.